If you are violating Amazon's TOS, then you will receive an email from Amazon stating that your buyer seller messaging ability has been temporarily restricted.
If you are unsure if you have been hit with the restriction, you can login to Amazon Seller Central. Navigate to the buyer messaging platform and open one of the recently sent emails. Check to see if there is a message at the bottom of the email that says:
"This message was not delivered because your account was temporarily restricted from sending proactive messages. For more information please check the email inbox associated with your account for a detailed error notification."
If you see this message, please login to FeedbackWhiz and update your templates and campaigns to stay compliant. Also, pause any active email campaigns until you have identified and resolved the issues. We have also updated our prebuilt templates to ensure that they are TOS compliant.
Here are the important things to AVOID in your email templates:
- Using [Important] in your subject line when it's not necessary to complete an order.
- You can only use [Important] for critical orders.
- Sending marketing or promotional emails:
- Offering a discount or coupon code
- Directing buyers to other product pages/sites
- Having a link to your Amazon storefront or listing page
- Incentivizing or manipulating feedback and reviews:
- Offering a discount/product in return for a review
- Asking to leave a review only if they had a positive experience
- Asking to contact you before leaving a negative review
- Asking only for a positive review
- Providing the customer on what to write in the review
- Asking for the same review repeatedly
- Although there isn’t any language stated on how many times you can ask for a review per order purchase, we recommend to only ask for feedback or review once per order.
- Sending links or attachments that are not necessary to complete the order
- Only attach files (ebooks, instructions, images) that are relevant to the product(s) purchased. Do not attach marketing material, spam or other content that violates Amazon TOS.
- Avoid using any external links (i.e. directing them to your website or other sites like Youtube, Shopify, etc) in your templates that are not from our FeedbackWhiz variable list. Amazon will flag external links and buyers who click on these external links will get a warning message.
- Do not include your personal email address as they will be automatically removed from the email.
- Sending excessive emails
- We recommend checking all your campaigns to make sure that you do not have campaigns that are sending emails to the same order within a 24 hour window.
- Check that you are not exceeding the daily email limit (5 times your average daily order volume, plus an additional 600 messages).
- Order Shipment email for FBA orders
- Amazon is stating that it is not necessary to send an order shipment email to confirm the product has been shipped. Amazon already sends this so they want to avoid any conflicting messaging or confusion.
- If you do choose to send an email to the buyer when an order ships, make sure you provide some value in the email such as product information, necessary attachments, and contact seller link to provide good customer support.
General best practices for sending emails:
- Send no more than 2 emails per order.
- When asking for a review/feedback, avoid any conditional statements such as “If you are happy with this purchase, please leave a review” or “Please contact us if there are any issues before you leave a review.”
- Avoid triggers words such as positive, happy, or satisfied inside your review/feedback email.
- Do not include any language in the review/feedback email about contacting the seller “IF” the buyer had an issue/problem.
After you identify and resolve the issues, you can send Amazon an email to inform them that you have updated your templates. This is to maintain a record within Amazon to prove that you have taken action in case your account gets mis-flagged in the future for the same issue.
If you believe that you did not violate any of their TOS and there has been an error, please submit an explanation to Seller Support:
Your explanation should include evidence or examples that demonstrate that your messaging in the last month doesn’t commit any of the aforementioned prohibited actions.
Please refer to Buyer Seller Messages Service Overview for more information on staying compliant: